ddd

Re: UTF-8 support (with XFT fonts)

From: Michael Eager
Subject: Re: UTF-8 support (with XFT fonts)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 18:37:09 -0700

On 4/25/22 15:23, Joe Nelson via Discussion list for DDD, the GNU graphical debugger front end wrote:
I'm debugging a program which manipulates UTF-8 strings, and I'd like to
see the special characters when inspecting variables.

I found a tip in a Motif forum [0] that does almost what I need. It told
me to enable XFT fonts using resources. I added this to my ~/.ddd/init:

   Ddd*renderTable: rt
   Ddd*rt*fontType: FONT_IS_XFT
   Ddd*rt*fontName: Inconsolata
   Ddd*rt*fontSize: 8

The change allows me to see special characters properly in a tooltip
when hovering over variables, and when printing in the GDB console
window. However, it isn't affecting the data display window.

Anyone know how to use an XFT font in the data display window?

Thanks for your help!

0: https://motif.ics.com/forum/developers/utf8-support

Can you send me a small test program and tell me exactly what you are doing in DDD to display the data?

Also send me your ~/.ddd/init file.

--
Michael Eager