Re: help

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: help
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 08:49:57 +0000

On Wed, 2020-02-26 at 14:14 -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> I have an old lilypond file that I updated that I want to bring into
> denemo. But it won’t take it. Additionally the lilypond parser warns
> me unexpected signed. It is a piano piece with lots of chords and I
> would rather not have to notate it from scratch if I can avoid it.
> Any ideas how I could get it to import into denemo or at least parse
> as is would be most appreciated.

I have imported music in LilyPond format into Denemo using the command:

Command: Paste LilyPond notes
Paste LilyPond notes from the text clipboard
This will import music written as LilyPond syntax
You open the LilyPond file in a texteditor, copy the stretch of notes
(control-c command in your texteditor usually) and then use this
command.
Location: Main Menu ▶ Edit
Internal Name: PasteClipboard

For example, if I copy this text

 a'' f'' a'4 d'' <a ' b ' gis''> d''

to the clipboard and then invoke that command it works.
There are quite a few things to watch out for though, as the Denemo
parser of LilyPond can't manage several LilyPond constructs so you have
to copy and paste sections of actual music rather than trying to import
the text wholesale. I suggest the following procedure:

1) Paste the whole file into Frescobaldi, change the language to Dutch
(so that g-sharp is gis etc) and absolute not relative
2) for each voice select the music including preliminary \clef and
\time commands (type these in if they are not in the section you are
copying) and then invoke the command.
3) if it fails, look at the terminal output to see what construct gave
trouble and delete such constructs and then try again.
4) add back in using Denemo anything that was deleted.

I've found this is a practicable scheme for the music I've tried,
saving time and tedium.

Note that there was a big change in LilyPond syntax (over a decade ago
I think) so if you hit that you will need to use the convert-ly tool
that comes with LilyPond. (Probably best to use that first anyway).

If you have a problem post up the LilyPond text that you cannot
import...

HTH

Richard