Re: Transposed Instruments Playing Concert Pitch

From: Joe Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Transposed Instruments Playing Concert Pitch
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 07:21:00 +0000

Hi Sandy,
I'm not sure if this will help but I have had a couple of beginner Clarinet and Eb Sax players in my church music group and have produced (a lot of) music as attached (denemo file and pdf)
Staff 1 is a Chord Staff for guitar
Staff 2 the original tune from hymn book - we have concert pitch players too
Staff 3 is not printed and is the music transposed for Eb Sax (I had to do this because the Sax doesn't go low enough and some of its notes need to be other notes in the relevant chord) Staffs 4 and 5 are mirrored from the hidden Eb Sax line and are the notes the Sax would play, plus a Chord Staff that gives the names of the notes that are needed (they are beginners) Staffs 6 and 7 are mirrored from Staff 2 and do the same job for the Clarinet. Staffs 4-7 are transposed appropriately on printing. The actual music is entered at concert pitch.

I did try transposing the music as I was entering it but my brain couldn't cope.

with best wishes
Joe Wilkinson