Re: checking chords or other piano practice ideas?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: checking chords or other piano practice ideas?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 09:16:37 +0000

On Sun, 2021-01-17 at 16:41 -0800, Paul Ivanov wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> thanks for making Denemo - I'm just getting started in learning
> music, and Denemo's been a great help!
>
> So far, I've succeeded in transcribing some sheet music by capturing
> the duration of notes and rests in a first pass, followed by a second
> pass of capturing the notes themselves, as the Denemo example videos
> demonstrate. I did not have a MIDI cable handy when I started, so I
> used a combination of the on-screen keyboard, and a modified keyboard
> layout input (I set ZXCVBNM for ABCDEFG).

With the modified keyboard layout input you don't get the automatic
advance to the next duration, so I think you lose the advantage of
entering the durations first. I've an idea you are best in the
situation that you don't have MIDI input or on-screen keyboard to turn
off the spillover and enter note names (adjusted with , and ' + -)
followed by change-duration command if needed. There is a keyboard
layout for entering note-name-and-accidental where two rows of the pc-
keyboard are used one for naturals the other for "black" keys...

> But now that I have a MIDI cable,
now you're in a much better place, especially if you are fluent with
your MIDI keyboard/device
> I've been trying to figure out a way to practice with the sheet
> music, and hoping I could get some ideas from you.
>
> It looks like I can use "Check Note Pitches" from the Educational ->
> MIDI menu for advancing through individual notes, but when there are
> chords involved, I seem to either advance on any portion of the
> chord, or Denemo ends up modifying the underlying chord that was in
> my
> original transcription. (I'm using version 2.4.4 on Windows at the
> moment)

I've just looked at this and it appears to be horribly broken - instead
use

Command: Check Chords (On/Off)
Advances through the current movement as you play the notes, stopping
for wrong or missing notes in MIDI in.
Location: Main Menu ▶ Input ▶ MIDI
Internal Name: ToggleCheckChords

I've just been testing this and it seems to be working fine, except
that when you have finished it goes straight back to editing your score
without warning(*) - worth a bug report.

Please write again if you need anything else - it sounds like you are a
handy guy to have around!

Richard
(*) well, the background changes color and the status bar changes, but
it caught me...