Re: To Mr. Shann

From: Andrew Hanson
Subject: Re: To Mr. Shann
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 18:06:25 -0600

Hey Richard,

You have edited and presented the work of so many Baroque composers, Shickhardt, Valentine, Bigaglia, Sammartini, Veracini, and so on.  Have you written any essays on them?  I would be interested to read your thoughts.  Do you think that some are underrated?

I like many movements by these mostly unheralded musicians.  Some are quite innovative, in my opinion, in their musical ideas, but my knowledge is so limited that I feel a little lost.

I just ordered Sardelli's book on "Vivaldi's Music for Flute and Recorder" from interlibrary loan, which I'm looking forward to reading.  No one would dispute that Vivaldi, BAch, Handel and Telemann are the "big boys" in this period, but there's still movement in the evaluations of what might be called the second rank, surely.

Anyway, thanks is advance for sharing.

Regards,
Andrew Hanson
New Mexico

On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 9:56 AM Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com> wrote:
On Fri, 2022-05-06 at 15:27 -0600, Andrew Hanson wrote:
> Thanks.  I meant by comments, something about the source text.

Command: Multi-line Text and Music
Inserts multi-line text object which can include music snippets, Fret
Diagrams and Note Names/Chord Symbols. LilyPond Markup can be used and
a preview button is available to check the syntax.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Directives ▶ Markings ▶ Text/Symbol
Internal Name: MultiLineTextAnnotation

> Also, i don't see how to put in tempo, like "♪ = 120".

Command: Tempi and Metronome Marks
Insert tempi and/or metronome marks, printed or not, adjust playback
tempo to suit
Location: Object Menu ▶ Directives ▶ Markings
Internal Name: MetronomeMark

There is a search facility in View->Command Center to find these ...

> The slurs are there.

but not in the origninal

https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/464296/tojyf

or
https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/353907/tojyf

editions based closely on it.

Richard
BTW please use "Group Reply" or "Reply to All" so that those searching
the mailing list archives can follow the thread.