Staff Names: some comments

From: Joe Wilkinson
Subject: Staff Names: some comments
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 14:19:29 +0000

Hi Richard,
Please will you clarify:
The "New" default image has the single staff labelled "Part 1". This does not appear on the Typeset music. For something to appear on the Typeset either an Instrument must be assigned, or the Staff named. "Assigning an Instrument" changes the Midi output from the staff and the Display Name, and also the Typeset Music Name     To label a staff in Typeset it is necessary to change the Instrument Name and/or the Short Instrument Name in the Staff menu. Changing it in the Edit screen does not affect the Typeset music      I assume this could be for the purposes of creating a Part with two or more staffs by naming them the same.

Adding a staff is a little quixotic
Add Staff for Instrument adds the staff and Assigns an Instrument. 😁
Named Staff before or after Current the staff and then uses Instrument Name 😁 Add in All Movements, and Add Structured staff leave the staff unnamed when Typeset.🙁     I would imagine that each of these should Name the Staff so it appears when Typeset.

What is a Structured Staff?I can find no reference to such a beast in Lilypond documentation And is there any reason why it is not possible to assign Brass Band instruments?

Best wishes
Joe
What is a Structured Staff