Re: Staff Names: some comments

From: Joe Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Staff Names: some comments
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 16:15:57 +0000

Thanks,
That is helpful. Just as long as I know what does what.
Best wishes
Joe

On 02/12/2022 15:58, Richard Shann wrote:
On Fri, 2022-12-02 at 14:19 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
Hi Richard,
Please will you clarify:
The "New" default image has the single staff labelled "Part 1". This
does not appear on the Typeset music.
Yes, this is a Denemo, not LilyPond, thing that Denemo calls the "part
name" - you can set it so that several staffs belong to a "part" which
then means that the Part button on the Print View will typeset them
all.

For something to appear on the Typeset either an Instrument must be
assigned,
yes

  or the Staff named.
Not sure what you mean by that. You have to set an instrument name on
the staff. The command to do that also sets the "part name" intended as
a convenience, but you can change it back.

"Assigning an Instrument" changes the Midi output from the staff and
the
Display Name, and also the Typeset Music Name
yes, another "convenience" function that let's you do several things at
once - you can set the MIDI channel, the instrument name, the range of
valid notes and the part name separately,,,

      To label a staff in Typeset it is necessary to change the
Instrument Name and/or the Short Instrument Name in the Staff menu.
or use one of the convenience commands you have mentioned.

Changing it
by "it" I think you mean the "part name" - the name appearing at the
start of the staff with a grey background becoming green when you
hover.
  in the Edit screen does not affect the Typeset music
       I assume this could be for the purposes of creating a Part with
two or more staffs by naming them the same.
yes

Adding a staff is a little quixotic
Add Staff for Instrument adds the staff and Assigns an Instrument. 😁
Named Staff before or after Current the staff and then uses
Instrument
Name 😁
Add in All Movements, and Add Structured staff leave the staff
unnamed
when Typeset.🙁
      I would imagine that each of these should Name the Staff so it
appears when Typeset.
Well many people don't want a name at the start of the staff...
What is a Structured Staff?I can find no reference to such a beast in
Lilypond documentation
Command: New Structured Staff
Creates a new staff below the current staff with the same time
signature changes inserted.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Staffs/Voices ▶ Add Staff
Internal Name: NewStructuredStaff

It doesn't do any of the convenience stuff though - I think there are
some more commands that are marked "hidden" which add staffs without
any of the convenience features as well.

And is there any reason why it is not possible to assign Brass Band
instruments?
No one has contributed the individual instruments - I just tested and
you can add an entire brass band section by going up from the folder
"instruments" and into the folder "band" but this leaves you to copy
and paste the music into the instrument you want and delete all the
others :(

HTH