Re: A set of shortcuts suited for french azerty keyboard

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: A set of shortcuts suited for french azerty keyboard
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 16:00:37 +0000

On Mon, 2022-12-05 at 15:48 +0100, gerard.nollez@free.fr wrote:
> 1) The <cursors> section has been incompletely removed - there is a
> trailing </cursors> which a less forgiving xml parser would die on.
>
> Sorry, but in the Navigation/cursor menu, I don't see any trailing
> shortcut, may  be I am looking in the wrong place?

yes, "cursors" here is a mis-nomer for "pointer".

 <cursors>
 </cursors>

is a section in the shorcuts file that tells Denemo what icon to use
for the mouse pointer in certain states. In fact, I think it is
essentially obsolete (though in principle you could set such a thing
using the Command Center). The fact that it is incompletely removed
lead me to assume you had edited your shortcuts file by hand.

> 3) You have resurrected the primitive command d-Paste giving it the
> Ctrl-v shortcut. This command was superseded by one called
> d-PasteObjects which has the same label but improved behavior
>
> I don't see any functionnal difference between d-Paste (the universal
> Ctrl-v) and the PasteReplace (remplacer) button...

I don't understand: there is no PasteReplace - there is a command that
replaces the selected music with the clipboard but the two commands I
referred to are the original d-Paste and the newer d-PasteObjects.

The original command was superseded because in some circumstances it
does not do a nice job  - e.g. when you have several staffs and paste
music from a single staff at the end. (From my testing it would seem
that the original d-Paste *is* now doing a single-step Undo, my comment
that it didn't was based on observing that the replacement
d-PasteObjects takes a snapshot before pasting, which is done when the
next steps may fail to undo).

> 4) You appear to have dropped the shortcut for d-Play to start
> playback
> but included a shortcut to stop playback, which seems strange
>
> Yes, it is strange but I was harassed by undesired playback when
> clicking a note in the Print View.
You need to use Shift click on a note to move the cursor to that note
without starting play.

> I didn't know the easy way you suggests !
> On this point, when clicking a note in the Print View, I am no longer
> redirected at the corresponding place of the music editor.Did I
> forget to activate an option?

This problem has arisen with a bug introduced into the libevince
library; to work around it we now build with libatril which does not
have the bug. Are you building from source?