Re: Strange behaviour of Chord Staff

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour of Chord Staff
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 15:47:04 +0000

On Thu, 2022-12-08 at 19:52 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> Using the same template as I have used many times to simplify the use
> of
> Eb and Bb instruments in our small church Band (attached), I have
> started getting this error (attached pdf).
> The top stave should be a chord staff.

This is true of EbBb44.denemo and as it has only spacer rests in it, it
does not actually typeset anything (you can verify this by deleting all
the other staffs, then no staves are printed, just the title).
As you say, the (empty) top staff is not a chord staff in
temp0812.denemo ... what is this staff for? Is the template actually
working as you intended? What typesets do you make from it? (To test,
put just one note and one word in the lyrics and do the typesetting you
are intending to do and check the results).

>  It is currently blank and not a
> chord staff but has a mix of notes from Staffs 4 and 6.

It's not clear to me which staff those notes are on - a Chord staff
only prints text... Looking at the LilyPond syntax there seem to be
constructs whose meaning is obscure to me - as if bits of the syntax
were omitted; this could happen if the various directives set on the
staffs got garbled/deleted etc. I notice the template is in one key and
the file in another (different time sigs too) so the mirrored staffs
would all need refreshing when creating your score from that template
..

> It produces even more interesting results as a Chord staff.
> But it is blank.
> I have obviously done something recently, but have no idea what or
> how
> to correct it. I have done the obvious of deleting the top staff and
> creating it again.
> No Joy. Help?
I hope so - but I need to know if your template works and what you do
with it...