Re: system to system spacing

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: system to system spacing
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:53:49 +0100

On Tue, 2024-04-09 at 13:33 -0700, Donald J. Stewart wrote:
> I'm working on a very small 7 system (30 measure) pop arrangement for
> classical guitar. In essence, a 1 page piece.
I take it from this that you have just one staff per system, so that
system = line
for this case.

> I would like to create more space between systems, effectively
> spacing correctly to fill the entire page.
>
> Here are some things that I've tried:
>
> Score->Typesetter->Print Layout->Vertical Spacing->Staff Spacing-
> >Spacing Between Staffs
>
> seems to do absolutely nothing.

That is, you don't see a change in the resultant typeset - the
calculations done will have changed, but the result is the same.
But this is the correct menu.
>  I have an additional voice but it should print on one line.
as long as the voice is on the same staff you only have one staff, so
that is indeed irrelevant - only the "skyline" - the distances from the
stave of the high and low notes - will affect the spacing, no matter
which voice they are in.

>  The number I enter makes no difference in any of the spacing
> categories (although it seems logical to choose Spacing for Un-
> grouped staffs (no braces)).
yes

> Score->Typesetter->Print Layout->Vertical Spacing->Staff Spacing-
> >Choose Titles and Systems Spacing
>
> similarly to above, does nothing in the score.
>
> Score->Typesetter->Print Layout->Vertical Spacing->Systems Per Page
>
> works perfectly if I'd like to create fewer systems per page than the
> total amount which is 7. If I choose 6, then I get 2 pages of score
> with 6 systems spaced evenly per page. If I choose 7, then I get 7
> systems jammed on to the top half of 1 page.
>
> Directives->Typesetter->Print Layout->Staff/System/Titles Spacer
>
> works only if I manually make another input at the end of each line.
>

> I must be missing something as it seems that there should be some
> elegant way of simply selecting the spacing wanted between lines.

That is not how typesetting is done - for that you use a drawing
program.
Instead you specify the parameters (e.g. padding ...) and the
typesetter creates the best spacing that matches those.
This can make it quite tricky without spending time reading the
LilyPond documentation, however if you attach a sample Denemo score
help is at hand. If your score is confidential you can randomly alter
the actual notes.

HTH