devel-panorama

stick shift

From: Guy Winters
Subject: stick shift
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:46:03 -0000

It was the vagaries of the wind we couldntunderstand, and no wonder. The water front of Frisco was held and run by a lot of soulless crimps.
Most Swedes are good carpenters, and, though an A.
It was shortly after midnight andpitch dark. Pretty high handed, Ill admit, but the British were both feared andrespected in those days.
There being little wind, however,she payed off slowly. Thats always the verdict on a sailing ship, anyway. Butfor Gods sake men dont let those crimps get hold of you. On the other hand, to be dubbed a cracker-onwould be the ambition of every skipper worth his salt.
So that by the time she checkedcoming up, and started to pay off a bit, it seemed too late. I know mine was sinking lower andlower, as she tore at those forbidding black cliffs. Wearing Ship is aticklish job at the best of times, particularly the bracing up when shecomes to. As almost everybody was on thestarbd side of the boom, I nipped along to the port side.
Get him to give you his brief Can do and youneed no attorneys, stamps nor seals. Hegoes ashore that night under the wing of the crimps runner to have agood time. When daylight came he was allright, but as soon as it got a bit dusk, he was finished.
Aman is invariably mouching until he dies, and then we say, Oh, hemust have been bad after all.
The first chap we said was loafing,until he died.
Then nobody would have had aghost of a chance. On a long sailing ship voyage, each man knows the other better than heknows himself. On one occasion old Jock heard some of the crew cursing at the way hewas carrying on.
In either case it would have meant a swift and sureexit for all of us.
It was the vagaries of the wind we couldntunderstand, and no wonder.
We expected all four masts to come down like a row of ninepins. On a long sailing ship voyage, each man knows the other better than heknows himself. After the drink, the sailor chap is givenmoney.
I know I felt all of a sailor afterrounding it once. Ill go furtherand say, such men were not difficult to find in British ships.
Rotting grain has worse contemporaries, but they are not soeasy to find.