diffutils-devel

Re: mbcel module for Gnulib?, incomplete multibyte sequences

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: mbcel module for Gnulib?, incomplete multibyte sequences
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 15:25:59 -0700

On 2023-08-07 00:32, Paul Eggert wrote:
I'll think about naming.

It's been a month and I couldn't think of anything better than to shorten the name from mbcel to mcel, so I did that and installed the attached patches. These patches shouldn't affect behavior; that is, they should only add new functionality.

With luck this should be enough for diffutils to stop using its own homegrown variants of Gnulib modules; I plan to look into that next.

I'm not entirely happy with this approach, as it means packages like diffutils will need to pass --avoid=mbuiterf etc. to gnulib-tool if the packages prefer mcel for everything. If gnulib-tool gave us a way to say that mbscasecmp depends on mbuiterf or mbcel (i.e., "or" instead of "and") perhaps we could do something better. But the patch should work as-is for diffutils, and if we come up with something better for Gnulib we can improve diffutils accordingly.

Although these patches update Gnulib's 'exclude' and 'mbscasecmp' modules to support mcel-prefer, they don't have similar updates for other modules like 'mbsncasecmp' and 'propername' that could also use support. Diffutils doesn't use those other modules so I left them alone for now; they can be updated later as needed (and by then maybe we'll have a better solution for the --avoid problem).