Re: gnuradio error

From: Vasil Velichkov
Subject: Re: gnuradio error
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 22:28:35 +0200

Hi Mike,

On 11/02/2020 21.38, Mike Gilmer wrote:
> I installed gnuradio on  Fedora  5.4.17-200.fc31.x86_64 using sudo dnf
> install gnuradio

The gnuradio's version in Fedora 31 is 3.7.13.5-6.fc31.x86_64 and 5.4.17-200 is
the version of the Linux kernel.

You can find the newer version 3.8 in the COPR repository
https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/InstallingGR#Fedora_COPR_Installation

> Afterwards when I attempt to run gnuradio-companion (typing
> gnuradio-companion in a terminal) I see several errors at start up
> Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading
> 'qtgui_bercurve_sink')
> Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading
> 'qtgui_const_sink_x')
> Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading
> 'qtgui_edit_box_msg')
> Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading
> 'qtgui_freq_sink_x')
> Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading
> 'qtgui_histogram_sink_x')

The Fedora official package does not provide these QT GUI blocks, actually it
does not provide any QT blocks. The most probable reason is that Qt4 was
removed from Fedora 31 and gnruadio 3.7 still uses Qt4. How did you installed
these blocks?

> Warning: docstring loader crashed too often
>
> The gnuradio GUI opens up but using QT widgets causes a seg fault.

Can you take a backtrace? First install the needed tools and debuginfo packages

  sudo dnf install dnf-utils gdb
  sudo debuginfo-install python3 gnuradio

then run

  gdb -ex run -ex bt --args /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/gnuradio-companion

do whatever is needed to reproduce the segmentation fault and then provide the
gdb output from your terminal.

Regards,
Vasil