Re: Excess bandwidth in constellation modulator

From: Md. Atiqur Rahman
Subject: Re: Excess bandwidth in constellation modulator
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 12:52:43 +0100

This is exactly what  i was looking for.
Thank you so much.

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020, 9:22 am Moses Browne Mwakyanjala, <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,
That comes down to baseband signal and passband as shown below. Traditionally, we only quote positive frequencies. For example, for the SRRC pulse you mentioned, the baseband signal extends from -Rs(1+alpha)/2 to +Rs(1+alpha)/2. Thus, we say the baseband bandwidth is Rs(1+alpha)/2. When transmitting over the air, we have a passband signal which extends from Fc -Rs(1+alpha)/2 to Fc +Rs(1+alpha)/2 where Fc is the carrier frequency. In this case, the positive bandwidth is Rs(1+alpha), which is twice the bandwidth at baseband. As a general rule, passband frequency (the frequency you transmit over the air) is twice the baseband signal.
Regards,
Moses.
PS- The attached pdf is quite a good introduction to gnuradio and signal processing basics.
image.png