Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr 3.7 freeze

From: Doursenaud , Raphaël
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr 3.7 freeze
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 11:48:28 +0100

Not sure it will work but we can try... i dont know many end users who tests beta versions; usually they wait for the "stable" release and they report bugs at this time (look at the posts in french forums when 3.6 was out...)
For what i understand from your RC stuff, if we take an example with 3.5.x releases, 3.5.0 should have been the first RC and 3.5.5 the stable release ?

No, not at all. We would have a RC cycle between the beta phase and the definitive release.
The cycle would go that way :
Beta(last)-> RC(1) -> RC(n) -> RC(last) == Release(x.y.0)

- Beta(last)
After some betas, we consider the thing is stable enough and will not have any catastrophic behavior so we're confident users can go and test it without any major harm.
- RC cycle
We try to promote the RCs as much as possible so we have enough people testing with their actual workflow and data (This is the only way to iron out all the bugs).
- RC(last)
Once the reported _and_ fixed bugs is low enough or even better, zero. We know this is good for release so **we don't touch it**, just rename it to release x.y.0

The hotfix releases (x.y.n) will continue to come out when problems are found in the field after release.

This is not rocket science and pretty much the proven standard in the industry. If you want to learn more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Doursenaud
Directeur technique (CTO)

http://gpcsolutions.fr
Technopole Hélioparc
2 avenue du Président Pierre Angot
64053 PAU CEDEX 9
SARL GPC.solutions au capital de 7 500 € - R.C.S. PAU 528 995 921