Re: Suggest renaming Emacs source file with '$' in name

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suggest renaming Emacs source file with '$' in name
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 22:37:33 -0500

> I suggest renaming the file in the Emacs source tree. If the '$' is needed
> for a filename test, the test can create a file with that name; that should
> be less of a problem than having a '$' file in the repository.

IIRC, I added this file for a completion test, where the $ is very much
needed (the test is about the use of $ in `read-file-name` where it can
be used for ENVVARs, it can be escaped by doubling it, and it stays
untouched in case it ends up not referring to an existing ENVVAR).

So feel free to rename it, but please be careful to change the tests so
they first rename it back to its "name with dollar in it".

        Stefan "who can't remember having problems with $ in file names"