Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 11:28:48 +0000

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

>>> I tried that once when I wanted people to test whether horizontal scroll
>>> bars work on their machines.  It didn't take long to read the first "gentle"
>>> request on this list about how to switch them off ...
>>
>> I hope you gently told them where to go.  :-)
>
> I told them how to switch them off - they didn't even bother to look for
> the knob themselves.  But it taught me the lesson to never ever try such
> a thing again.  The toughest resistance always comes from veterans and
> fellow developers ...

My 2 cents,

I may be wrong but to my observation the toughest resistance comes
typically from few veterans who hardly ever wrote a patch, not
developers.  Given the day is 24H people doing development just can't
physically commit all this time arguing for one way or the other for
sustained periods of time.

The result is that often developers just (sadly) fall back on writing
patches as this is perceived to be more useful.

  Andrea