Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el (v3)

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el (v3)
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 12:45:14 +0100

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> I wrote a small library to access to Repology API
>> (<https://repology.org>) from Emacs. I'd like to submit it for inclusion
>> in GNU ELPA, as it might be useful to others.
>>
>> I'm attaching the sole file since it has no interweb existence so far.
>>
>> Please let me know if it is not suitable for inclusion, or needs more
>> work.
>
> It needed more work… After this brown paper bag announce, the next
> revision hopefully fixes compilation warnings and expounds the docstring
> of the main interactive function. Here it is.

So, IIUC, my work is not GNU-compatible. Well.

I managed to create a third version of the library (i.e., version 0.10),
which tries, in a best effort attempt, to hide any project with
a dubious license. It works by matching a list of pre-defined regexps
against the license string of the software.

There are obvious limitations in that process:
- the list of regexps is certainly incomplete,
- some licenses are inaccurate in the database,
- "unfreedom" is subtler than what softwares can guess, it requires
  lawyers sometimes.

So, one could argue it may give a false sense of "security". Best effort
attempt, as I wrote… In addition, I can also add a list of projects to
ignore, if requested.

I'm not attaching the new file to avoid spamming the list with anti-GNU
software. But I'm asking it again, to be sure: do you think this new
attempt could go to GNU (or Non-GNU) ELPA with that change, or is
anything Repology-related verboten there?

Regards,