Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 17:16:13 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: rudalics@gmx.at, larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>       drew.adams@oracle.com, juri@linkov.net
> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 00:01:13 -0500
>
>   > If they are motivated enough, we don't need any rules for that, we
>   > just should continue behaving as we did, because starting a discussion
>   > on emacs-devel about any issue related to Emacs is always possible
>   > (and happens already).
>
> You CAN start a discussion on emacs-devel, but in order to be aware
> there is a need for one, you would need to subscribe to bug-gnu-emacs
> AND follow discussion of dealing with a particular bug.

There's no need to subscribe to bug-gnu-emacs in order to read it.
One can follow the list archives via the Web browser, for example, or
use the debbugs Web interface.

> The point of my rule simply to ensure that the readers of emacs-devel
> see that there is an interface change is being proposed.

The rule you propose has a price that I don't think we should pay.  I
personally simply cannot afford paying it.  Reading the bug list is
not a big deal, so people who want to be more involved are invited to
do that.  By contrast, the burden on Lars and myself to make sure we
start a discussion about every change which might require it is
considerable.