Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 16:18:23 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, rudalics@gmx.at, eliz@gnu.org,
>       emacs-devel@gnu.org, drew.adams@oracle.com, juri@linkov.net
> Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 02:33:42 -0500
>
>   > Maybe there is no discussion *prior* to the change, but if the change
>   > ends up being controversial, there is pretty much always a discussion
>   > (long) before the next release.
>
> Not always.  We just had a case where there wasn't.

We will never be able to avoid such incidents in all cases.  We are
just people, and people make mistakes.  It is wrong to try to achieve
such unrealistic goals.

> I am simply trying to ensure that the discussion will happen before
> the next release.

We cannot ensure it; see above.  We can (and should) try lowering the
probability of the discussion not happening, but the measures taken to
that end should be on par with the frequency of those incidents.
Heavy measures to fix very low-frequency incidents are unjustified,
and will harm development for reasons that are not good enough to
justify the harm.