Re: A whole lotta auto-saving going

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A whole lotta auto-saving going
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 16:55:28 +0200

> From: Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 16:05:52 -0600
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
>
> > The past few days on the trunk, I'm seeing "Auto-saving...done" a whole
> > lot more than before.  Sometimes it's popping up every few characters
> > I'm typing, which just seems unhelpful.
> >
> > I haven't investigated at all why this is happening -- is it immediately
> > obvious to somebody what's going on?
>
> I too am seeing this in my emacs config in enh-ruby-mode. If I change
> auto-save-interval to 0, it stops. So it appears that the
> auto-save-interval is somehow broken.

I suggest to put a breakpoint in Fdo_auto_save and see what invokes it
and why.  First, which code invokes it?  Next, if it's indeed this
place:

  if (commandflag != 0 && commandflag != -2
      && auto_save_interval > 0
      && num_nonmacro_input_events - last_auto_save > max (auto_save_interval,
20)
      && !detect_input_pending_run_timers (0))
    {
      Fdo_auto_save (auto_save_no_message ? Qt : Qnil, Qnil);
      /* Hooks can actually change some buffers in auto save.  */
      redisplay ();
    }

then why does it happen?  Do we fail to update last_auto_save? or do
we increment num_nonmacro_input_events too quickly for some reason?

I presume that this doesn't happen in "emacs -Q", because I was unable
to reproduce it.  Then maybe some customizations cause this, directly
or indirectly.  For example, maybe some timers or subprocesses cause
this.