Re: xref buffer and default-directory

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref buffer and default-directory
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2021 02:17:44 +0200

Hi Matthias,

On 08.01.2021 19:15, Matthias Meulien wrote:
Hi, I am a heavy and happy user of project-find-regexp (through C-x p g).

Excellent!

Sometime while reading search results from the *xref* buffer I realize that I should perform another search; I thus press C-x p g again from the *xref* buffer. But it looks like the local value of default-directory isn't related to the last search context. And I am presented search results of an unrelated project. It's confusing and sometimes I take time to realize that am not reading the search results of the right project! Are you experiencing the same problem?

Looks like I've never really tried this exact scenario before (I almost always search for the string at point, and that means switching to another buffer first).

It looks like the value of default-directory for the *xref* buffer is not changed between searches. Is this correct? Should we change this behavior?

It was a bug (the default-directory value stayed on from the very first search you did in the current Emacs session). Should be fixed now in 6e73e07a6f.

Thanks for the report.