Re: [feature/dll-only-windows] A new windows build, comments wanted

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [feature/dll-only-windows] A new windows build, comments wanted
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 18:45:17 +0200

> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 21:31:45 +0000
>
> > Did you verify that the DLLs include all of _their_ dependencies?  If
> > yes, how did you do that?
>
> It's totally dependent on ntldd being correct, of course. It comes with
> a --recursive option which I used rather than reimplementing it
> myself.

You can use objdump:

  objdump -p *.exe *.dll | fgrep "DLL Name:" | gawk " {print $3, $4, $5}" |
sort -u

Keep adding DLLs and running the above command until all the DLLs it
shows are in your staging directory.

> >> 4) Currently, native-comp is an "--with-nativecomp" option even on the
> >> native-comp branch. It is likely to be merged this way to master?
> >
> > Yes, I think so.
>
> Are you worried about stability or newness? I guess it will become the
> default at some point. It seems to have few disadvantages, other than
> hammering the CPU at bit at initial start up.

Usually, such radical features start as optional, but maybe we will
decide otherwise.

Why does it matter?