Re: master 8dcb19f 4/4: Add a unit test testing interaction between thre

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 8dcb19f 4/4: Add a unit test testing interaction between threads and processes.
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 00:26:50 -0500

> From: Philipp Stephani <p.stephani2@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 21:33:29 +0100
> Cc: Philipp Stephani <phst@google.com>, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > Can you describe the idea of the test,
>
> This test essentially implements your request to verify the
> interactions between the self-pipe for SIGCHLD and threads. Seems it
> discovered some issues on Windows instead! The test works fine on
> GNU/Linux and macOS.

Thanks, but this doesn't really answer my question.  I think I
understand what the code does, but I don't know what was the intent in
writing it.  There are some things the code does whose rationale I
don't understand.  For example, why the call to set-process-thread:
what's the purpose?  Or why no-conversion in make-process?  More
generally, what is the basic idea of the test and the expectation
from each thread.

> > and in particular why did you
> > expect the threads to start running?  IOW, which part of this test is
> > supposed to force the main thread to yield so that one of the other
> > threads starts running?
>
> thread-join should yield.

Isn't that too late?  The processes have exited already, so what does
that test?