Re: newline-and-indent vs. electric-indent-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: newline-and-indent vs. electric-indent-mode
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 23:45:57 +0200

On 24.01.2021 07:29, Stefan Monnier wrote:
All right, filed as bug#46064.

Thanks.

I think `electric-indent-mode` is annoying in any case if the
indentation code disagrees with your style.
True, but my present complaint is about it being annoying *twice* for the
same line. And if it's being annoying while point is still on that line,
it's marginally easier to fix.

BTW, I just want to clarify that while I'm to be blamed for the current
behavior, I'm perfectly happy if someone wants to change it.

My main goal was to consolidate all those major modes's ad-hoc
auto-indent (typically by binding RET to `newline-and-indent`) into
a global user config, and that's done.

I've considered what default we could change, but if we wanted to set electric-indent-inhibit to t by default (after resolving bug#46064), most/all major modes should first get electric-indent-functions similar to #'ruby--electric-indent-p to compensate for it, and that's a non-trivial effort, not to mention the change in user habits.

Though we probably could generate something based on SMIE grammar, in modes based on it.