Re: newline-and-indent vs. electric-indent-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: newline-and-indent vs. electric-indent-mode
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 05:33:34 +0200

> From: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>
> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 07:26:03 +0530
>
> As a data point, I find every design choice you have made in this area
> has directly attacked my usage.  Typically In C-like modes turning it on
> leads to spurious whitespace when I want to insert a new line.

Please show a couple of examples of that.

> It is a lost case when the behaviour that I have been using for years is
> now broken and there is no path to fix it short of throwing all SMIE
> code out of the window.

What is broken, please?  I have electric-indent-mode turned on in my C
mode buffers, and if there was something broken in that, I'd pay
attention very quickly.

Really, such bitter complaints must always come with a lot of details,
including, but not limited, any customizations you have made.
Otherwise what do you expect us to do about your gripes?