Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 20:59:14 +0300

* Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> [2021-01-25 18:52]:
> On 25.01.2021 07:53, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > One uncertainty remains in my understanding.  Are those
> > Schemas a kind of software, or are they some other kind of thing?
> >
> > I think they are software, because they could be modified within an
> > infinite space of possibilities.
>
> A picture can be modified within an infinite space of possibilities. A book
> can be modified. A mathematical equation can be modified.
>
> None of the above are software.

Software

>From Wordnet dictionary:

* Overview of noun software

The noun software has 1 sense (no senses from tagged texts)
1. software, software program, computer software, software system, software
package, package -- ((computer science) written programs or procedures or rules
and associated documentation pertaining to the operation of a computer system
and that are stored in read/write memory; "the market for software is expected
to expand")

>From Wikipedia:

Software is a collection of instructions and data that tell the
computer how to work.

If schema is data it is part of software together with instructions.

If schema represents rules how to produce digital document it is part
of software.