Re: Org schemas we talked to be non-free, was: [ELPA] New package: repol

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Org schemas we talked to be non-free, was: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 01:03:29 -0500

https://help.libreoffice.org/3.3/Common/XML_File_Formats#Definition_of_the_XML_formats
  > says "The schema for the OpenDocument formats can be found on the
  > www.oasis-open.org web site", i.e., it points to the same nonfree files.

If we were looking for alternative definitions of those formats, you
found that there were none there.  But that doesn't necessarily mean
there is a problem in LibreOffice.

  > I've also checked the Gentoo app-office/libreoffice-7.0.4.2 package,
  > and it doesn't install any Relax-NG schemas. It only installs DTDs for
  > the older OpenOffice.org 1.x format. These are licensed under MPL-2.0.

It sounds like those are enough in practice.  That is a vital bit of
good news.  In what directory does it install them?  I'd like to see
which ones the Trisquel package contains.

What is the command I should use in dpkg to find out what files a
package contains?

  > Maybe it's time to contact OASIS Open and ask them if they would
  > consider relicensing the Relax-NG schemas.

I think we will do that, but let's not rush.  We just got mail from
someone who knows more than we do about Relax-NG schemas.  Let's see
what we can learn from per about how to deal with this.

--
Dr Richard Stallman