Re: Patch to avoid flicker in Isearch with lazy count

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Patch to avoid flicker in Isearch with lazy count
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 12:17:06 +0100

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 11:06, Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> wrote:

> Definitely, ‘lazy-highlight-delay-max-chars’ should not affect
> ‘lazy-highlight-interval’ because with pauses between highlighting
> portions of matches, when lazy-highlight-buffer-max-at-a-time is 20,
> this could create a situation when only first 20 matches are counted,
> and during the delay before processing the next portion of matches,
> the users might think this is the final total of all existing matches,
> so this is misleading for users.

Good, I'll make it so.  By the way, why is the default
‘lazy-highlight-buffer-max-at-a-time’ (20) so low?  The overhead of
creating a timer for every 20 matches is pretty substantial.  On my
machine, a value like 500 or 1000 makes the lazy count finish visibly
faster, and doesn't affect responsiveness even in huge files.