Re: Gnus using lexical-binding

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Gnus using lexical-binding
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 15:07:16 +0000

> I'm working on converting all the lisp/gnus files to use
> lexical-binding.  I have a first version of the code ready and pushed to
> `scratch/lexical-gnus`.  It works for me, but please test it because my
> use of Gnus only exercises a small fraction of its functionality
> and packages.

Thanks.

> And please, after testing it, tell me how it went, regardless if you
> encountered problems or not.

Bootstrapping emits the following warnings:

  In mail-add-attachment:
  mail/sendmail.el:1809:25: Warning: ‘mm-default-file-encoding’ is an obsolete
      function (as of future); use ‘mm-default-file-type’ instead.

  In mh-minibuffer-read-type:
  mh-e/mh-mime.el:1728:24: Warning: ‘mm-default-file-encoding’ is an obsolete
      function (as of future); use ‘mm-default-file-type’ instead.

and starting Gnus only gets me as far as the splash screen; see the
attached backtrace, which I'm guessing is related to the following
setting:

  (setq-default
   gnus-group-line-format
   (concat "%M"           ; Marked articles
           "%S"           ; Subscription
           "%p"           ; Marked for processing
           "%m"           ; New mail
           "%B"           ; Open summary buffer
           "%P"           ; Topic indentation
           "%5y? %3T!"    ; Unread and ticked articles
           " : "          ; Colon
           "%(%-40,40c%)" ; Collapsed group name
           "%9u&dgroup;"  ; Last read
           "\n"))

(The last %-sequence is just a custom timestamp format.)

Let me know if you want me to test anything else out.

--
Basil