Re: master 977f3f27c5 2/2: Don't issue warnings for Unicode quotes for n

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 977f3f27c5 2/2: Don't issue warnings for Unicode quotes for now
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 16:39:27 +0200

> Yes.  But it feels a bit awkward to introduce a variable just for this.

That's true.

> Perhaps we could make an explicit mapping: t to `(not
> (docstrings-unicode-quotes ...))' and then introduce a new `emacs-build'
> value that's the old t (basically)?  That way we could (in the future)
> introduce more warnings just for the Emacs build that wouldn't affect
> other usages of the byte compiler.

I like this approach.  It would allow us to introduce experimental
byte-compiler warnings: we could introduce new warnings more gently.
For example, perhaps the "long docstrings" warning could have started
out as experimental for a full major release to allow packages more
time to adapt.  (Not that it would have likely mattered much but
still.)