Signaling errors within process sentinels only works when DEBUG-ON-ERROR

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Signaling errors within process sentinels only works when DEBUG-ON-ERROR is non-nil
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 20:07:37 -0500

Hi,

For a while now, in my work on plz.el[0], I've been trying to understand what causes an intermittent problem in that some HTTP requests sometimes return nil instead of the intended value. Some of my attempts are mentioned in plz.el#3[1], and that resulted in my filing Emacs bug#50166[2].

Finally, today I may have had a breakthough: I noticed that synchronous requests that are expected to signal an error which is intended to be handled by a CONDITION-CASE form do not have their error handled by the form; instead Emacs seems to intercept the error itself, and so the value that the CONDITION-CASE would return is not returned, with NIL being returned instead. For example, see this code:

  (condition-case err
      (plz 'get "https://httpbinnnnnn.org/get/status/404";)
    (error 'foo))

This makes an HTTP request to a non-existent domain name, for which plz signals an error in the process sentinel. However, when evaluating this form (with EVAL-EXPRESSION-DEBUG-ON-ERROR set to NIL), instead of evaluating to 'FOO, I get this in the *Messages* buffer:

error in process sentinel: plz: Curl error: "plz--sentinel: Curl error", #s(plz-error (6 . "Couldn't resolve host. The given remote host was not resolved.") nil nil)
  nil

The CONDITION-CASE is apparently not allowed to handle the error, and NIL is returned instead of 'FOO (after the 2-second process-sentinel-error delay, which I also learned about recently, which Lars recently added a variable to control).

In re-reading the Info page `(elisp)Sentinels', I saw this:

  If an error happens during execution of a sentinel, it is caught
  automatically, so that it doesn’t stop the execution of whatever
  programs was running when the sentinel was started.  However, if
  ‘debug-on-error’ is non-‘nil’, errors are not caught.

So I tried binding DEBUG-ON-ERROR non-nil around the call to PLZ, and sure enough, this solved the problem:

  (let ((debug-on-error t))
    (condition-case err
        (plz 'get "https://httpbinnnnnn.org/get/status/404";)
      (error 'foo)))

That evaluates to 'FOO, immediately, as expected.

So my questions:

1. Is this an acceptable way to work around this problem (of not being "allowed" to signal errors within a process sentinel)?

2. Are there any potential problems with this workaround?

3. Is there a better way?

4. Should Emacs be patched to change this behavior? It seems strange to me that, unless a seemingly unrelated variable is bound, errors within sentinels can't be caught by CONDITION-CASE forms enclosing the code that signals the error.

FWIW, I have spent many hours of apparently wasted time trying to debug this, what has seemed to be a mysterious problem. Admittedly, this has been documented in the manual for quite some years, and I've read that page many times, but it wasn't until today that I was able to recognize what was happening in the code and connect the behavior with that paragraph in the manual. So if Emacs could be made to behave more "naturally" in this respect, it would probably be widely useful.

As a point of comparison, request.el, the popular HTTP library for Emacs, seems to work around this by catching errors in a function called from within the sentinel and returning a list including the error data, rather than allowing the signal to propagate up to application code[3]. This certainly works, but it seems unnatural; wouldn't it be preferable to allow callers to wrap the call in their own CONDITION-CASE?

Thanks,
Adam

0: https://github.com/alphapapa/plz.el
1: https://github.com/alphapapa/plz.el/issues/3