Re: master 391ff93f763 3/4: * doc/misc/calc.texi (Musical Notes): Fix bu

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 391ff93f763 3/4: * doc/misc/calc.texi (Musical Notes): Fix build with Texinfo 4.13.
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2023 20:24:02 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Then I guess we are getting to the point where makeinfo 4.13 will no
> longer be a viable option.  The current makeinfo, though still slower
> than 4.13, is significantly faster than the original 5.x versions if
> you build Texinfo with Perl extensions, and has too many useful
> features to stay with 4.13.  So I urge you to upgrade.

[...]

> I don't know, please ask on the Texinfo list.  And meanwhile please
> revert those changes, they should not have been installed in the first
> place.

I would prefer we wait for a need more pressing than @sub before making
such a decision, because Texinfo 5.0 requires a newer Perl than is
installed on many of the systems I use.  In fact, @sub is not strictly
necessary; when the output is Info or ASCII, it emits:

a midi number to scientific pitch notation.  For example, ‘500 Hz’ gets
converted to ‘B_4 + 21.3094853649 cents’ and ‘84’ to ‘C_6’.

which is not very distinct from:

a midi number to scientific pitch notation.  For example, ‘500 Hz’ gets
converted to ‘B4 + 21.3094853649 cents’ and ‘84’ to ‘C6’.

and possibly more confounding, as underscores are seldom seen in musical
notation.