Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm

From: Andrew Hyatt
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 00:54:27 -0400

To bring this thread back to the original purpose: It doesn't seem like there are any objections to having this package in GNU ELPA, in its current form.  I'd like to resolve this long-running discussion by committing the first version.  I believe I have commit access, so if no one does object, I can add this to GNU ELPA myself.  I'll do so on Friday (September 15th), unless someone wants me to hold off.

Another question is whether this should be one package or many.  The many-package option would have the llm and llm-fake package in the main llm package, with a package for all llm clients, such as llm-openai and llm-vertex (which are the two options I have now).  If someone has an opinion on this, please let me know.

On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 9:21 PM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > The warn functionality in emacs does this already: it will pop up a buffer
  > with a warning.  The user can choose, by clicking on the (-) symbol to the
  > left, to suppress the warning, or suppress the popup.  Since the warn
  > functionality is built-into emacs, I prefer to use it then create a similar
  > functionality that is nonstandard.

That is a good approach for this.

A few days ago, someone asked if it might be possible
to have a general Emacs-wide way of customizing warnings
and notifications that would apply to the various mechanisms.
It could be a good idea.  If someone wants to think about what
specific customizations this might do, that might lead to ideas
to implement.