Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:54:33 +0000

Hello, Richard.

On Sun, Oct 22, 2023 at 22:11:31 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > So it would appear there are no cl- functions used in the dumped .el
>   > files which would cause cl-lib to be loaded.

> That is good news.  Thanks for studying this.

> Nonetheless, we do have some problems.  For instance, the debugger
> should not load cl-lib.

I would agree, but edebug _does_ load cl-lib.  So does desktop, as I've
already pointed out.  Even calling M-: (backtrace) causes cl-lib to get
loaded.  All of these, and likely many others, would take a lot of work
to fix.

It seems that while emacs -Q doesn't itself load cl-lib, there is now
very little, if anything, one can do in Emacs which doesn't load this
library.  I find this regrettable, but can't see there's much to be done
about it.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).