Re: master 861ac933dd8: Run `man' also on remote systems

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master 861ac933dd8: Run `man' also on remote systems
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 12:21:28 +0100

Eshel Yaron <me@eshelyaron.com> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Eshel,

> I have a couple of suggestions around the new documentation:

I'm norious bad with documentation, much appreciated!

I have pushed your proposals to master with the modification, that it
doesn't speak about *execution* of the man program on the remote
system. Not all Tramp backends support remote processes, so we cannot
let run man there. Instead, for such use cases, I plan to implement a
local copy of the man page from the remote system, and let run "man -l
<local copy>" then.

> I'm would also consider changing the name of the new user option from
> `Man-support-remote-systems' to `Man-execute-on-remote-systems', since
> to me that better conveys the choice you make by setting this option.

For the very same reason I haven't applied this change. But of course,
I'm open to any better name for `Man-support-remote-systems'.

> Best,
>
> Eshel

Best regards, Michael.