Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 22:24:29 +0000

On Sat, Nov 4, 2023 at 10:00 PM Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> On 20/06/2023 18:31, João Távora wrote:
> > If I remember correctly, SLIME (and SLY) have at least two types of
> > "reference" searches: "who calls" and "who expands".  They create the
> > typical ((file -> list of matches)...) listing in an SLIME xref buffer.
>
> Interesting. And AFAICS SLIME also has another kind of non-definitions
> search: slime-who-specializes.
>
> Speaking of the two former ones, though: is there a point in using two
> different commands, if their outputs never "intersect"? That is, one is
> for the macros, and another for regular functions. Why wouldn't
> 'slime-who-calls' also work on macros, printing their expansion sites?

I think maybe just to limit the signal to noise ratio.  Maybe I'm
specifically interested in macro expansions only.  But I kind of agree
that, at least  in Lisp, calling and expanding isn't usually very different
in terms of what I want to know about such a site.

Anyway, does this mean that xref.el is soon to have a solution for
this?  The one I vaguely remember discussing in this thread.  Something
like a single xref-find-other command + a selector for the type of
reference, right?

João