Re: Instead of pcase

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Instead of pcase
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:56:20 +0200

On 29/11/2023 05:42, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > > However, to make the simplest possible result, I need to know
   > > all the kinds of values that RES can have.  For instance, at this point,
   > >
   > >        (`(,hookfun . ,_)
   > >         ;; The hook function already performed completion 🙁
   > >         ;; Not much we can do at this point.
   > >         (message "%s already performed completion!" hookfun)
   > >         nil)
   > >
   > > what are the possible values of RES that will NOT match that pattern?

   > Since "_" means "anything", the pcase form does enumerate all possible
   > options

We had a miscommunication.  Your answer tells me what that pcase
clause recognizes, but the question I am asking is a different one.
My question is about what values of RES are_valid_  at that point in
the code.

             (anything else would be a bug in the code producing res).

My question is about the code producing RES.
What are the values it can produce, and what do they mean?

I'm not sure it's productive to explain the whole completion mechanism here, and which bits are involved in it.

I just wanted you to assume that the existing code does what it should do (there exist only those cases that pcase matches, and the ones it does not, should not exist), and to try to rewrite it using a different syntax.