Re: Please do not deprecate perl-mode in favour of cperl-mode

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Please do not deprecate perl-mode in favour of cperl-mode
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 09:42:39 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> But maybe if someone wants to take a hard look at CPerl
>> Mode from a user friendliness perspective?
>
> I think it is quite possible to provide the behavior you'd
> like to see as options, if not as the default. We don't need
> everyone to agree on the "correct" and "friendly" behavior,
> as long as everyone can get the behavior they want, given
> some customization.

That's the right approach! Merge as much as possible into the
default, what cannot be merged into that can be made an
option. When no more merging in any way can be done, how much
do they really differ? If they actually do differ at that
point, I'm sure both can still be provided in one way
or another.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal