Re: master b0049c942b8: bytecomp.el: Warn for `, ' not within backquote

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: master b0049c942b8: bytecomp.el: Warn for `, ' not within backquote construct
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 21:45:39 -0400

  > BTW, the compiler already emitted a warning for it, but saying only
  > that there was a call to an unknown function `,`, and without specifying
  > where that call was found.

Right.  It was very difficult to find where that warning was coming from.
It turns out that searching for a comma finds lots of matches that
do not represent anything wrong.

  > So now we get a duplicate warning:

  >     In my-foo:
  >     foo.el:4:7: Warning: ‘,’ called -- perhaps used not within backquote

  >     In end of data:
  >     foo.el: Warning: the function ‘,’ is not known to be defined.

The mew warning (shown first above) is better), so I'd suggest disabling
the old (second) warning for this function.

  > Maybe the better fix is to improve the "function ‘,’ is not known to
  > be defined" warning so it points to the right location?

It would be useful to improve the "function XYZ is not known to be defined"
warning in that way -- but, in the special case of comma, the newer
more specific warning is better.