Re: [NonGNU ELPA] Add package gptel

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] Add package gptel
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 18:40:00 -0400

  > gptel is an LLM (Large Language Model) client for Emacs that supports
  > most LLM providers that offer an HTTP API.  This includes open source
  > models running locally on the user's PC or network via Ollama,
  > Llama.cpp, Llamafiles and GPT4All, and access to larger models provided
  > by a growing number of companies.

This sounds useful, but I think that using it involves an injustice.
I can't be absolutely certain, but it looks that way.

Plesae correct me if I am mistaken, but it seems that the function of
this package is to help the user use services which are examples of
SaaSS (Service as a Software Substitute).  For more explanation, see
https://gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html.

If I understand right, the package sends a commend to the server to
request some computing job, and the server sends back the output from
that job.  That implies that the service in question is SaaSS.

Making a program available by hiding it in a server is one of the
unjust alternatives to releasing free software.  (The other unjust
alternative is releasing it as nonfree software.)  However, most
users are unware of this issue and think of hidden program as
entirely legitimate.  They use those without the slightest idea
that there is a reason to object to them.

It's up to us to educate the users about this, and gptel seems
like te place to do it.

How can that be done?  One way would be to make gptel
display a brief explanation (a few lines) of why SaaSS
is a bad thing, plus a link to more explanaion about the issue.
It could do this the first time a user uses it,
and maybe every 30 days after that.

Have you got another idea for how to do this job?

Whichever way we implement this, it should be added before
putting the package into ELPA.