Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 03:10:55 +1000

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

On Sat, Jul 13, 2024 at 12:57 AM Joel Reicher <joel.reicher@gmail.com> wrote:

1) Is there anything you would like help with at the moment? A particular bug or two? (You mention some in the talk but that was 6 months ago.)

There are a few (three?) open issues that I'm actively working on (this weekend, finally. yey). Depending on how that goes trying out the patches (building installer from updated scripts) will be very helpful, if nothing else. I strongly suspect there are a number of Windows specific issues lurking in the bug tracker however that takes a fair amount of effort just to research (searching Debbugs is something of an art-form).

A naive search turns up at least 40 that look to me to use the word "windows" to mean the operating system and not the Emacs object.

2) How do you provision/construct your build environment? In the talk I think you allude to it but never really describe it.

I don't have automation to create the build environment. I simply install MSYS2/MINGW64 and then run the build with all my preferred options to configure until it stopps choking on missing dependencies.

Ah, sorry; I meant the steps before this: the machine, and the operating system.

For example, do you create VMs semi-regularly with different versions of Windows?

Thanks and regards,

      - Joel