emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Using Binder

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Using Binder
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 00:28:15 +0900

> On Dec 27, 2022, at 19:20, Christian Tietze <me@christiantietze.de> wrote:
>
> Thank you for bringing up this pacakge, Jean-Christophe! I've bookmarked
> it in the past but never tried it on an actual writing project. I'll
> give it a shot to update an old ebook :) Seems to work thus far.
>
> Apart from the initial experience, have you used it for a while and found
> anything else worth sharing?

I'm actually using side-note/olivetti quite a lot and I find it's too bad that
the note feature in binder is not compatible with the side-note data. But I
like the idea of having the note associated to the file in an elisp structure.

The file set I work with at the moment is a big DocBook set with a lot of very
precise XML IDs and I'd love to find a way to navigate the IDs over the whole
set without having to enter the files.

And I know that's not what Binder proposes :-)

> Worth sharing: the binder.el repo contains a couple of face overrides to
> get the colored sidebars:
> https://git.sr.ht/~pwr/binder/tree/master/item/contrib/binder-theme.el

Nice :-)

And nice to see more and more people using sr.ht.

> I bet one could (ab)use org-mode to treat the outline as the project
> structure (just like Scrivener offers an outline) and store the notes
> as content below the org headings.

How would you go about that?

I need to write a (technical) book in January, it has to be delivered in
DocBook (or something that's easily convertible to DocBook). I'm thinking
org-mode like I did for my MA 1st year research report. But I'm trying to find
ways to streamline the process, hence my interest for Binder. But I'm not sure
how to go about that.

And I'll have my Ma 2nd year thesis to write after that (not technical) so I
need to have figured that out by then ;-)

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @jchelary@emacs.ch
https://traductaire-libre.org