Re: A dream?

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: A dream?
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 19:43:18 -0300

On Sat, 15 Apr 2023 at 16:19, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * George Mauer <gmauer@gmail.com> [2023-04-03 18:17]:
> > Emacs is a complex tool that itself can take a semester or more to get
> > productive in. I know I myself tried for years to move to it and was only
> > able to after learning vim bindings pretty well, and starting to use
> > Spacemacs. Forcing students to use emacs, much less org - especially in
> > this day and age where students *will* ask online, and *will* get a
> > response of "no one actually uses that" - will probably meet with a ton of
> > resistance.
>
> We have got no problem to let staff members use Emacs in East
> Africa. I have not get any protest yet, people are interested.
>
> I have seen American surgeon and his brother from university totally
> delighted with the usage of Emacs and "how everything works in one
> program". They kept asking what is it.
>
> Here is how to verify usability of Emacs, once you verify it, let us
> know:
>
> Usability 101: Introduction to Usability:
> https://www.nngroup.com/articles/usability-101-introduction-to-usability/
>
> How Many Test Users in a Usability Study?:
> https://www.nngroup.com/articles/how-many-test-users/
>
> Usability Testing 101:
> https://www.nngroup.com/articles/usability-testing-101/

Hi Jean,

do you have a page in https://gnu.support/ explaining in detail how
you teach Emacs to beginners? It would be nice to have something like
that...

Btw, I've taught Emacs to beginners many times, but as "Emacs-the-
Lisp-environment", not as "Emacs-the-editor"... in some cases, like in
LaTeX workshops, lots of students who had never used Emacs before were
happily writing their own one-line elisp hyperlinks and defuns after
just one hour, but in some other cases my approach failed miserably...

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://anggtwu.net/#eev
    http://anggtwu.net/eev-intros/find-eev-quick-intro.html