Re: [EasyPG (epa)] Emacs can't save modified encrypted file

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [EasyPG (epa)] Emacs can't save modified encrypted file
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 20:08:23 +0000

"Christopher M. Miles" <numbchild@gmail.com> writes:

>> Do you have any issues decrypting and encrypting files from command
>> line? If no, what about from M-x shell? If yet no, what if you call gpg
>> via `start-process'?
>>

> - [X] test decrypt & encrypt in terminal with gpg command. -> works fine.
>
> - [X] test decrypt & encrypt in Emacs =[M-x shell]= with gpg command. ->
> works fine.
> - [X] test decrypt & encrypt in Emacs with ~start-process~ -> works fine

Ok. The further step we can try is following what epg does.
I am now looking into `epg--start' source code and I note
`epg-debug' variable, which might provide some more info to think about.
Also, note the `make-process' call in `epg--start' - you may try to run
it manually, similar to `start-process' and check if it fails. (For me,
:connection-type 'pipe part is a bit fishy - I recall there were some
quirks related to it;
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44824 ... but it was the
opposite to having 'pipe AFAIR).

--