Re: How to disable org-persist in a given file?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: How to disable org-persist in a given file?
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 20:57:31 +0000

Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com> writes:

> For the record, even ".org.gpg" files generate an entry in the cache
> index. (True, not the `:persist-file' itself though).
>
> My ~/.cache/org-persist/index contains:
>
>     (:container
>      ((elisp org-element--headline-cache)
>       (elisp org-element--cache))
>      :persist-file "c8/fd2b62-45cc-41c8-8571-d944c76b1f15" :associated
>      (:hash "7fd2d95e0f9239939598e7a9b8d5a273" :file
> "/path/to/myfile.org.gpg" :inode 41551881)
>      :expiry 30)

I think `recentf-save-file' for example is no different. And
org-id-locations-file. And custom-file, if you happen to save safe
buffer-local variables by answering "!" in Emacs prompt. And many many
other places.

I do not think that file name, even from encrypted volume, is something
we need to worry about.

I even suspect that, for example, browser cache often contains all kinds
of secrets, like files associated with web pages were you logged in. And
they can be read by anyone familiar with the layout! (like
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/chrome_cache_view.html)

> Please, please, be reasonable about this. Please, do not store
> information about known encrypted files in other places. Please, allow
> users to disable the feature cleanly and safely for arbitrary files if
> they choose to.

That said, do not worry about this issue being forgotten. But it is not
easy to design cleanly. I am thinking about it.
Of course, if you have good ideas or patches, they are welcome.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,