Re: [BUG] Tangling of clojure code blocks is broken [9.7 (9.7-??-0807107

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Tangling of clojure code blocks is broken [9.7 (9.7-??-0807107 @ /Users/ag/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-30.0.50/org/)]
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 15:21:30 +0000

Daniel Kraus <daniel@kraus.my> writes:

> The problem is that or :results value (/the default) I only want the
> result of the last expression and I do that `binding` of stdout to surpress
> all other output.
> But I guess during tangle this should just be ignored?
> Is there a simple way to find out if `org-babel-execute:clojure` is
> executed or tangled?

You can just move this extra logic arranging :results to
org-babel-execute:clojure.

> If it should be ignored on tangle, what about the :var defines.

:var defines are affecting how the code is written. :results should not.
So, :var is expected to affect tangling.
If necessary, code block expansion can be disabled via :no-expand header
argument:

       By default Org expands code blocks during tangling.  The ‘no-expand’
    header argument turns off such expansions.  Note that one side-effect of
    expansion by ‘org-babel-expand-src-block’ also assigns values (see *note
    Environment of a Code Block::) to variables.  Expansions also replace
    noweb references with their targets (see *note Noweb Reference
    Syntax::).  Some of these expansions may cause premature assignment,
    hence this option.  This option makes a difference only for tangling.
    It has no effect when exporting since code blocks for execution have to
    be expanded anyway.

> We recently discussed this for ob-scheme where there was a problem with the
> `let` wrapper.
> Is it ok or expected that a the tangled code is wrapped in a let block?
> Should I change it to a global `def`?

I think that keeping `let' should be fine as long as it does not break
things. In the previous discussion, the whole issue was that `let' was
not always safe in that particular lisp dialect.

We just need to make sure that it is documented.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,