[POLL] ob-C: Should we allow saving compiled src block to specified bina

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: [POLL] ob-C: Should we allow saving compiled src block to specified binary excecutable? (was: [RFC/PATCH] naming src/bin files in ob-C.el)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 14:02:16 +0000

Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

>> I am not sure how I feel about such side effects of evaluation.
>> Is there any other babel backend that is doing something similar?
>
> ob-java.el deals with it by using a :dir header; if non-nil, the
> compiled files are placed in that directory instead of
> `org-babel-temporary-directory'. (And, by default, the :dir header is
> "."). The filename is determined by the packagename.

Well. What ob-java does is mostly for historical reasons and because
some users of Java source blocks tend to use a lot of local classes
defined in current directory. See
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87imadafo0.fsf@iki.fi/
ob-java does not really aim to generate compiled source in :dir for
the sole purpose of generating the compiled source.

I feel slightly reluctant about adding side effects to babel evaluation.
Not too reluctant though.

I'd like to hear from other ob-C users, so I changed this thread into a poll.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,