Re: [BUG] org-list-struct-apply-struct overrides src block indentation (

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-list-struct-apply-struct overrides src block indentation (was: [BUG] Source block indentation does not work properly for yaml-mode [9.6.6 ( @ /home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6.6/)])
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 09:06:04 +0000

Sébastien Miquel <sebastien.miquel@posteo.eu> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko writes:
>> The cause is the following line in `org-list-struct-apply-struct'
>> [[file:~/Git/org-mode/lisp/org-list.el::indent-line-to  (+
>> (org-current-text-indentation) delta)))]]
>>
>> It calls `indent-line-to' that replaces spaces with tabs according to
>> current value of indent-tabs-mode in Org buffer.
>
> There are a few other instances of `indent-line-to` in the code. I
> guess the right fix is to un-obsolete `org-indent-line-to`, use it and
> make a special case if point is in a src block.

Yup. Sounds reasonable. Although we should not use it blindly; just
where necessary. Checking for element at point will create overheads.

> This use case is
> uncommon and not really compatible with `org-src-preserve-indentation`
> though.

May you please elaborate?

> Somewhat more common possibility: say one has a src block at 0
> indentation, and wants to make it part of an org list. Is there any
> proper org way to do this ? I can use `indent-rigidly`, but again,
> this might break an org-src indentation. No easy fix to this beside
> providing a simple org version of `indent-rigidly`.

I recall struggling with it and ending up with adding spaces manually to
the first src line and then using indent-region.

`indent-line-function' technically allows force indent, if
`tab-always-indent' is set to t, but we have <TAB> bound to org-cycle,
which will take precedence when at #+begin_src.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,