Re: Is there a better (built-in) way to insert an org link with title as

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Is there a better (built-in) way to insert an org link with title as description?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 08:26:08 +0200

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>>> (org-link-set-parameters "http" :insert-description #'your-function)
>>> (org-link-set-parameters "https" :insert-description #'your-function)
>>
>> Thanks, after some thinkering I got it:

>> (org-link-set-parameters "http" :insert-description
>> #'org-desc-from-clipboard)
>> (org-link-set-parameters "https" :insert-description
>> #'org-desc-from-clipboard)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> And I can do it async too, *but*; this will affect all insertions of links,
>> right?
>
> Indeed. By design, `org-insert-link' is synchronous - it expects the
> link and description to be available upon request.
>
>> I am not sure if it is safe/possible always to access the internet or do
>> it asynchronously, so I'll abandon the ship and revert to home-cooked one
>> just
>> for the precautios measures:
>
> What you can do is (1) make url descriptions be something like <title to
> be retrieved>; (2) add an :after advice for `org-insert-link' that will
> queue asynchronous url fetching; (3) replace <title to be retrieved>
> with the fetched title upon finishing the request. If the request fails,
> the description will remain <title to be retrieved>.

Yes of course, placeholders could work. Another option is to use url as
a placeholder, so if the retrieval failed the url would still be visible
which is a bit more informative than some generic placholder.

> Or you can run description retrieval independently, as a minor mode
> that will search for <title to be retrieved> marks and try to fetch
> them.

True. I could also run an idle timer on my notes file and try to patch
all urls without descriptions. Would need to put something as a marker
into a desription for dead links, or just remove them, so they are not
fetched over and over again.

However, I am ok with doing it on the request only, when I actually
create a note :).

But if someone adds something similar to org, I'll gladly use it :).

Thanks and sorry the  late response. My memory is like a gold fish,
sometimes when GNUS remove a mail from my view I totally forget about
it.

/a